Sunday, February 08, 2009

I fired someone

No... I didn't pour kerosine on someone and light her up. I sent my domestic worker back to her hometown today.

Nothing to do with the economy crisis. We suspected her of stealing, something which she denied, even at the Departure gate at Budget Terminal. We didn't manage to prove that she did it since we cannot find prove... she could have gotten rid of it... at least we think she may have probably done so. What we found is a photo of her and her Indian boyfriend. We found out about this 2 years ago, and she has promised to break off, which we naively believed. The photo is recent, I'm sure. Morally not wrong, but we have advise her against having a relationship with another foreigner. Who knows whether that guy is living on her, or just want to have a good time - free, once a month? She revealed that the "boyfriend" has went back to India and they have already broken off. I am not sure.

The reason for sending her back is... we can no longer trust her. How can I stay with someone without trust. Do I have to live in fear everyday? Do I have to watch my back on her every move? One may argue that even if we get someone new, it takes time to build up the trust. The thing is, she's with us for more than 2 years, and we have recently extend her work permit by 1 year. We have even helped her to apply to the Canadian Embassy for employment in Canada. Canada is supposingly one of the ultimate heaven that the Filipino maids wanted to go. Having said all this, and there's no trust in between us, I think it is pathetic. Have I failed as an employer?

She was not extra hardworking. Her working attitude was not super. Her food sucks. But I think she did try her best, and she treats Rayden well. These are the one of reasons why we renewed her work permit, knowing that she has wanted to go Canada ultimately.. and also trying to help her to achieve her dream.

But today, I have to crush it all. I have to hold back my tears when I am saying goodbye in the BT.

I am sorry, Rennalyn. I wish your family and you well. I hope you can achieve your dream soon. Thank you for your service.

No comments: